Fremont, NE a city of approximately 25,000 people has gone national all because of Monday’s much publicized vote on Ordinance 5165. This small town located just 30 miles outside of Omaha, NE is the subject of threats and pending law suits. The accusation, racism. The reason for such an accusation? The passage of Ordinance 5165.
So what is the controversial racist elements of Ordinance 5165?
The measure will require potential renters to apply for a license to rent. The process will force city officials to check if the renters are in the country legally. If they are found to be illegal, they will not be issued a license to rent. The ordinance also requires businesses to use the federal E-Verify database to ensure employees are allowed to work. azcentral.com
This law applies to ALL renters and ALL job applicants.
So tell me, what part of ALL is racist?
The “racism card” is played, it appears, as a distraction to the more pertinent conversation we should be having as relates to illegal immigration. We should be discussing such issues as the effects of illegal immigration as it relates to terrorism, National Security, crime, gangs, education, economic costs, traffic accidents, and the burden on the America infrastructure. I want to focus on one of the issues embedded in the problems of illegals living among us, that is, the threat of terrorism.
There is not one person in the United States who would say we have control of our borders – except perhaps in the airports. Our porous borders provide ample opportunity for anyone to enter our country. Among the “any ones” are terrorists, criminals, drug traffickers as well as those who are sincerely looking to improve their life. The problem is, with an open border, we have no way to determine the “good guys” from the “bad guys.”
Here are some facts gleaned from Facts, Figures And Statistics On Illegal Immigration:
- 3 of the 4 terrorist pilots on 911 were in the country illegally.
- According to a Homeland Security publication, during the years between 2001-2005, 45,008 aliens from countries on the US list of state sponsors of terror OR from countries that protected terrorist organizations and their members were living among us. (Broken, Ken Timmermon)
- In 2005, Homeland Security admitted they only apprehend 1/3 of the estimated 3 million illegals entering the US through Mexico (USA Today)
- “Several al-Qaeda leaders believe operatives can pay their way into the country through Mexico and also believe illegal entry is more advantageous than legal entry for operational security reasons.” (James Loy, Deputy Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security)
- 2006, FBI Director, Robert Muelier, while speaking at a House Appropriations Committee hearing stated: “…individuals from countries with know Al-Qaeda ties entered the US under false identities.” March 2005 Christian Science Monitor report, US-Mexican border as a terror risk,
And the list goes on and on, but I don’t want to alarm anyone, after all, these statements were made years ago. Surely things have improved, right?
Wrong! Our border remains as open and as porous as ever. In fact, it is now known that terrorists go to Mexico and South America where they learn Spanish before entering the US “hidden” in broad daylight among the “real” Latinos.
If someone were to tell you that they planned to rob your house and harm everyone who is home, wouldn’t you lock the doors and the windows? Wouldn’t you do everything you could to protect your home, your family and your way of life?
If a declared enemy TELLS YOU their goals, their mission, and their plans - wouldn’t it be common sense or street smart to protect yourself, or in this case, lock down borders? Is that really racist – to control who comes in or goes out of your home? Osama ben Laden has done just that but we haven’t locked the doors to America, why not, what are we afraid of anyway? Fremont, NE residents are locking their doors and windows and they are being accused of being racist. Who wins?